Bluey - everybody's favourite Blue Heeler - is the top selling top brand for the past 12 months with sales up more than 250 per cent to last year according to this year's Big W Toy Mania Report.
The report, which is based on the retailer's data and a team of toy experts, was released to coincide with the launch of the Toy Mania sale which started online today and starts in store on Thursday, June 17. More than 1000 toys will be on offer for up to 50 per cent off.
Big W's chief toy buyer, Christine Faulkner, said every year millions of families turn to Big W's Toy Mania sale for "inspiration".
"To ensure our range is on trend and available at the best prices, our team of toy buyers have one of the best jobs in the world - reviewing cultural and industry trends, as well as data and insights, to bring the latest and greatest in toys for families across Australia to enjoy," she said.
The top toy trends according to Big W include:
- Sales of Hot Wheels were up 40 per cent year-on-year and topping the list of best sellers. In second place comes L.O.L Surprise! Dolls, followed by electronic learning toys from VTech and favourites LEGO and Barbie.
- The Pokémon brand saw a 64 per cent sales growth year-on-year.
- Outdoor playsets, cubby houses, scooters and bikes have seen huge growth, with the category up 39 per cent on last year.
- Dolls and playsets, action figures, cars and construction sets make up four of the top five fastest growing categories.
- From Star Wars to Marvel, Harry Potter and Barbie, collectables is Big W's fastest growing category this year.