Firies issue warning after solar panels start fire at Ingleburn home

Picture: File image
Picture: File image

Firefighters are reminding locals to make sure their solar panels are installed and maintained by professionals after a fire in Ingleburn yesterday.

Fire and Rescue NSW responded to a Triple Zero (000) call at 9.30am on August 26 after smoke was reportedly coming from a switch connected to solar panels on a roof.

Crews from Macquarie Fields and St Andrews fire stations arrived at a home on Kings Road, Ingleburn and established that smoke was coming from an inverter in the roof.

Firies quickly gained access to shut down the power at both the panel inverter switch and roof switch.

Fire Investigation and Research Unit Superintendent Graham Kingsland said it was important to take steps to ensure solar panels were as safe as possible.

"Over the last five years we have seen solar panel related fires increase five-fold," he said.

"It is not uncommon to see solar panels cause house and building fires.

"By ensuring solar panels are installed by a licensed installer, and are well maintained by a professional, you can prevent a tragedy."

Residents of the home self evacuated and there were no injuries reported.

For more information on solar panel safety, visit the Fair Trading website.

This story Firies issue warning after solar panels start fire at Ingleburn home first appeared on Wollondilly Advertiser.