Man charged in relation to fatal Elderslie house fire

A man will appear in court today after an investigation into a fatal house fire in Crank Street, Elderslie in June.

The 23-year-old man attended Narellan Police Station at 5pm yesterday where he was arrested and charged with destroying property with intent to endanger life, destroying property by using fire, aggravated break and enter and being armed with the intent to commit an indictable offence.

The 23-year-old was refused bail to appear before Campbelltown Local Court today (Friday, August 30 2019).

Emergency services were called to the Crank Place home about 11.40pm on Saturday, June 1 2019, following reports of a home invasion and house fire.

Fire and Rescue NSW officers attended the scene.

After the blaze was extinguished firefighters located the body of a 22-year-old man inside the home.

DNA and blood tests have confirmed that Hayden Forrest died in the fire.

Camden Police Area Command crime manager Shane Woolbank told the Advertiser at the time that police had numerous people of interest.

"This was an extremely serious and violent crime that resulted in the death of one person," Detective Chief Inspector Woolbank said.

"[But] it could have resulted in the death of up to six people."

Camden Detectives, with the assistance of the State Crime Command's Homicide Squad and the Financial Crime Squad's Arson Unit, established Strike Force Cavenaghto investigate the fire and death of the man.

NSW Fire Inspector Andrew Ticehurst told the Advertiser at the time fire crews who arrived on Saturday night and found a fire in the front section of the house.

"Firefighters immediately began attacking the fire and searching the house for the occupants," he said.

Six people were found inside the home.

They were all taken to hospital, along with two police officers, for smoke inhalation.

Investigations under Strike Force Forrest continue.

Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or