Some Macarthur residents are advised there may be increased smoke in the air this week.
The NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) is conducting hazard reduction burns in the St Helens Park and Wedderburn areas over the coming days.
The Hodgson Close hazard reduction near Wedderburn began today (Monday, March 11) and will conclude on Sunday, March 17.
A second burn is set to cover between Ironside Avenue, St Helens Park and Wedderburn Road.
The hazard reduction will begin tomorrow (Tuesday, March 12) at 9am and continue until Thursday, March 14.
Both hazard reduction burns are predicted to generate smoke, hot embers and heat.
The NSW RFS advises residents to:
- Keep their doors closed to prevent smoke entering homes.
- Keep outdoor furniture under cover.
- Retract pool covers.
- Remove washing from clothes lines.
- Ensure pets have a protected area.
- If you are driving a vehicle, keep your windows up and turn headlights on.
- If you have asthma or lung conditions, reduce outdoor activity. If shortness or breath or coughing develops, seek medical advice.
For more details, visit rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me.