Children happy to swim, cycle and run, descended on Camden in their hundreds on Sunday morning.
The first ever Camden’s Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon was an overwhelming success, with more than 700 participants completing the non-competitive event by early afternoon.
Camden mayor Peter Sidgreaves, said it was fantastic to see children of all abilities giving it their all.
“The kids swam in the Camden War Memorial Pool, cycled through closed suburban streets and, finally, ran through the finish arch at Onslow Oval,” Cr Sidgreaves said.
All participants received a medal, with a few lucky kids taking home bikes and prize packs.
Camden will host the event, which encourages children aged 7-15 to try something new, have a go and enjoy being physically active, again in 2020 and 2021.
Mr Sidgreaves urged children to start thinking about getting involved next year.
"It’s a great opportunity for families to get their children involved at a world-class event, right here at home,” he said.
Numerous council-run sports and activities are available to help children practise, build fitness and get 2020-TRY ready.
- Swimming lessons, for residents aged six months and above. Enrolments are taken all year round and membership includes a free recreational swim pass, which allows the enrolled child, accompanied by their guardian, to use the pool at their contracted centre at any time;
- Swimming squads, for residents who can do all four strokes and want to compete;
- Teen Swim Fit, a program for residents who can do all four strokes but do not wish to compete;
- Junior (5-10 years) and teen (11-14 years) gym classes, which helps young residents build strength, fitness and confidence;
- Youth Fit Squad, a program that focuses on strength and fitness (11-18 years);
- Female Wellness, a program for females (11-18 years) that focuses on strength, fitness and mindfulness;
- Learn To Play volleyball and basketball workshops; and junior basketball and volleyball competitions.
For more information, or to enrol in an activity, visit ymcansw.org.au/centres and search for either ‘Camden War Memorial Pool’ or ‘Mount Annan Leisure Centre’.