Macarthur’s Labor representatives have slammed the Berejiklian Government for putting the Greater Macarthur 2040 Growth Area Plan up for public comment over the Christmas and New Year period.
Opposition spokesperson for planning Tania Mihailuk, Campbelltown MP Greg Warren, Camden Labor candidate Sally Quinnell and Wollondilly candidate Jo-Ann Davidson say the government chose one of the busiest times of the year to sneak the plan through with minimal scrutiny.
They have called on the state government to extend the public exhibition until after the March election to ensure that communities and councils have enough time to have their say.
Mr Warren said there was nothing great about the Greater Macarthur 2040 Area Growth Plan.
“It is no good dumping thousands of new residents out in Macarthur without the adequate infrastructure to support the needs of new and existing residents,” he said.
“This plan is about lining developers’ pockets not creating sustainable communities.”
The Berejiklian Government has announced 12 renewal precincts that would form part of the Greater Macarthur Region Growth Area, including land release areas in parts of Campbelltown, Camden and Wollondilly councils which would be expected to bear the brunt of an additional 40,000 new homes over the next 20 years.
Despite the size and complexity of this scheme, the interim plan was only released at the end of November with public exhibition to close this Friday, February 9.
Camden Labor candidate Sally Quinnell said this highlighted just how much the Liberal state government valued the input of Macarthur residents.
“The Greater Macarthur 2040 basically consists of a lot of housing with no infrastructure to service the needs of the rapidly expanding community,” she said.
“The state government must give the community time – and not over the busy Christmas holiday period – to have their say about the what our region will look like in the future.”
Wollondilly Labor candidate Jo-Ann Davidson said the plan had been “concocted by bureaucrats in Sydney who have never been south of the M5 toll”.
“I have spoken to many residents in Wollondilly about this ‘plan’ and the overwhelming consensus is this is a dud deal,” she said.
“If the government had of taken the time to engage the community, they would have received the same feedback.”
Ms Mihailuk said she was incredibly concerned that the Berejiklian Government were pushing ahead with the regional plan without being upfront with communities.
“If the Premier actually believed in public consultation then she would give these communities the time they need to understand and respond to these plans, not sneak it through over Christmas,” she said.
We want to hear what you think. Submit a letter to editor Roma Dickins or write to email@example.com.