Six Oran Park/Gregory Hills Chargers players are banned for life from Group 6 for their involvement in violent on-field incidents in last month’s reserve grade grand final.
Group 6 held a special hearing on Thursday night to review evidence of two fights, one of which involved Chargers’ players running from the bench to throw punches during their win over the Mittagong Lions at Campbelltown Sports Stadium on September 16.
A judiciary panel reviewed CCTV footage of the two incidents and 10 players across the two teams faced the hearing.
Today (Monday, October 8), Group 6 publicly announced the hearing’s results with suspensions and/or life bans handed down to six Chargers’ players, the team’s coach and a team manager.
Group 6 executive officer Stephen Hazelton said suspension sentences ranged from three weeks to two seasons.
“Six people were listed as undesirable which means they will never be registered in Group 6 again,” he said.
“It’s a privilege to play in our competition so those players can go somewhere else.
“Our board has decided to make a stand against this violent kind of behaviour.”
The Group kicked the Chargers out of the senior competition and stripped them of their premiership prize money following the incidents.
Chargers coach Martin Virgara said the suspended players would lodge an appeal against Group 6’s decision.
“We are going through Country Rugby League to put an appeal together,” he said.
“We are very disappointed with Group 6. We’ve had life bans, been kicked out of the comp and they’ve taken away our prize money and shield.”
Oran Park/Gregory Hills executive committee member Kim Locker said she was disappointed with the judiciary outcome.
“Our club will continue to work closely with Group 6 to get the club back and running again,” Locker said.
“We won’t know what happens next until the Group 6 annual general meeting is held in early November.”
Group 6 has also reviewed evidence of a fight during the second division grand final between the Warragamba and City Kangaroos on September 15 at Kirkham Park.
Three players, a coach and a spectator were issued notices to attend last Thursday night’s hearing.
The verdicts ranged from a not guilty decision through to a three-match suspension.
One player was unable to attend the judiciary hearing. He has been stood down by Group 6 until he is available to attend a hearing.