The first steps have been taken towards Picton Bypass becoming a reality.
Investigative and planning work for the bypass is set to finish on Monday, August 13.
The Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) began the works nearly two weeks ago.
An RMS spokeswoman said workers had collected data on motorists using Picton Road, Remembrance Drive and surrounding areas.
She said the majority of work had been undertaken at night time for safety reasons and to reduce impact on traffic.
“The traffic study is going well and is on track,” she said.
The bypass will be a major road connecting Picton Road to the Old Hume Highway.
In June, Wollondilly MP Jai Rowell announced he had secured $3 million to start the planning works for the Picton Bypass.
Mr Rowell described the announcement as a “huge win” for the community.
“Traffic congestion will be reduced and heavy vehicles will be diverted from the main streets in Picton,” he said.
“It will make Picton safer.”
Following the planning works, the RMS will conduct a review of environmental factors in the Picton area.
The RMS spokeswoman said there was still no start date for construction.
Details: RMS website.