LIGHT Up Camden organisers have put in place a ‘‘contingency plan’’ in case works in Camden’s main street are not completed in time for the festival next month.
Light Up Camden chairman Bill Rooney said Camden Council officers had assured the committee the works in Argyle Street would be finished in time for the festival on November 21 but ‘‘it’s always better to be prepared,’’ he said.
So a ‘‘plan B’’ was arranged about two weeks ago and while Mr Rooney wouldn’t be drawn on the back up location, he said if it was used festival goers wouldn’t be disappointed.
‘‘They won’t notice the difference from last year,’’ he said.
‘‘Light Up Camden will still go ahead, there will still be stalls and there will still be entertainment.’’
Mayor Lara Symkowiak told the Advertiser in April there was a ‘‘limited window’’ to start the first stage of works — to narrow the lanes closest to the parking lanes on Argyle Street and install traffic lights — so that it was completed in time for Light Up Camden.
Asked if he would be disappointed should Argyle Street not be ready in time, Mr Rooney said: ‘‘No, not really. It’s just a challenge. It will still go ahead because we put a lot of foresight into things.’’
This week a Camden Council spokeswomen said the first stage of the works would be completed by November 20 and ‘‘in time for the Light Up Camden event’’.