The NSW Environment Protection Authority will take a Minto company to court after it allegedly breached conditions of operation on multiple occasions.
The EPA said Minto Recycling – a subsidary of Bingo Industries – held an environment protection licence and was only permitted to process 30,000 tonnes of waste each year.
It will be alleged the Pembury Road company “considerably” exceeded the limit during the last two reporting years. The EPA estimates 120,000 tonnes of waste has already been processed this reporting year.
In May this year the EPA issued a release which said the company had been fined $30,000 for unlawfully transporting general solid waste – including domestic waste, waste from litter bins and pieces of plastic.
The EPA said the company continued to accept waste that controvened the conditions of operation despite three previous warnings.
At the time EPA manager of waste compliance Cate Woods said “If waste facilities are not managed properly there can be off-site impacts to the environment and broader community”.
“These fines are a reminder to all companies involved in waste operations to operate within the law and take proactive steps to follow the rules.
“If companies don’t have proper environmental controls in place or are if they are operating illegally, the EPA will step in to protect the community and environment and take strong action against them.”
The matter is due to be heard before the courts on November 6.
Bingo Industries spokesman said “Bingo declines to comment on the EPA court proceedings yet stresses that the Minto Recycling Facility plays an important role in taking waste from Sydney landfill, and has an application in place to increase tonnage given the demand for recycled waste services”.